Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I would like to buy a very small (5ft by 30ft) piece of

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to buy a very small (5ft by 30ft) piece of property from my neighbor ... what do I need to Do? Thank You for Helping ... Lee

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

This is my first step

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In millcreek

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of ...

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/29/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This sounds like you may need to use a quitclaim deed to transfer the property over from how it is now to reflect the new owner(s) in exchange for payment. Quitclaim deeds are usually used in family situations where one party releases some or all rights to the property, but people can also do it between non-family members as well. The thing with quitclaim deeds are that there are no warranties on the property so if there are any lien or encumbrances, the new owner(s) won’t have any recourse.

To get a quitclaim deed, you can usually go to legalzoom.com, rocketlawyer.com or you can just download a quitclaim form from your county recorder's website or obtain a form from a local attorney, real estate agent or office supply store. Make sure you have the assessor's parcel number (APN) on the form as well so the recorder’s office can know what property this is. Also, you can find the APN on your property tax bill.

When it comes to taxes, some transactions are exempt from taxes. Transfers between spouses (26 US Code Section 1041); parents and children, grandparent to grandchildren, or as gifts are exempt. An inheritance or placing property into a trust or LLC are also exempt transactions as well.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?