Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Have resided in home for 30 years.....last year landlord…

Customer Question
Have resided in home...

Have resided in home for 30 years.....last year landlord advised me that he needed to have me out by July of this year as advised by his financial advisor. About 3 months later (approximately) he told me that I his planner told him I could stay as long as I wanted and give him at least 1 years notice. I have had raccoons in the attic for 2 years....the first year the animal removal people told him the home needed a new roof...landlord kinda' chuckled and purportedly told the gentleman he would get it fixed in the spring. Landlord came in replacing fire/smoke detectors and in conversation told me if the house were to burn down he'd just pay me for my belongings. In the 30 years no painitng, no carpet replacement....some carpeting was replaced when I moved in in about 1988. Airconditioning was added in about 1990....furnace replaced this year after breaking twice. Windows promised in the 90's....indoor-outdoor carpeting was to be replaced between 2000 and 2004. House was appraised and needed repair...asbestios siding needed to be removed. Basement leaks occasionally with heavy rains. During ice storm a tree fell on house and garage....access to garage wasn't able due to tree which forced garage to shift and doors would not open. Insurance adjusters and repair estimators have been out. Most visits were coordinated with the landlord that lives in Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Oops.....Tree removal folks got in touch with me as well as the electrician....same day.....I didn't hear about these visits till the day of and once the day before.. There's more that can be included in my narrative....but this is the gist. Last week I got a letter basically stating that because of me not being available when he had made appointments....once I fell asleep and didn.t hear anyone knocking...was told they had called but no log cell or home fone. I was responsible for raccoons.and tree damage and was hoarding (maybe, I do have a lot of things),,,so I have 7 days to remove my "hoard" or get out....no filings that I know of with the court...What should I do...this is my first reach for help

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AZ lawyer about this?

I live in Michigan....He moved to Arizona after he remarried....The attorney from whose office I got the letter is in Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is the gist...but no

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Good Morning!...Oh, let me add I'm 67 years old
Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Just to clarify, there is no current or active written lease agreement for your home, correct?

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I hope you received my prior message. I'm re-sending here just in case you didn't.

I'll wait to hear back from you, thanks!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi, just checking in to see if you'd still like help getting your questions answered. Think of this more as a back and forth conversation. Let me know if you'd still like my assistance, thanks!