Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I wanted to know if I can add my friend to a deed if he is…

Customer Question
Hi, I wanted to...

Hi, I wanted to know if I can add my friend to a deed if he is not on the mortgage.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your friend taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Mendocino county ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that the friend is paying for half of the house, it's just that the mortgage is going to be in my name thanks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Yes, your friend can be added to the deed on the property even though he is not on the mortgage. It should not affect the mortgage so long as your name stays on title and so long as the mortgage payments are current.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.