Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is there a charge for this service. In North Carolina if a…

Customer Question
Is there a charge...

Is there a charge for this service

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

In North Carolina if a tenant leaves before the lease is up and does not notify landlord, can you still send eviction papers or go to small claims court to recover any owed monies. They have abandoned the property

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Just to let them know when there lease is up and they will still owe June rent just a letter to the tenant

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a NC lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just should i still file eviction papers or other

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If they have abandoned the property, the landlord can reclaim the property and can sue for damages and breach of lease not covered by the security deposit. You can sue in small claims, but you need to know where they are and serve them the suit so you can proceed through the court process.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.