Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought my property 6 years ago. Last October I had my

Customer Question
I bought my property...

I bought my property 6 years ago. Last October I had my property survey done, and it shows that the back of my property has old fence about 5-6 feet almost all the way across into my property. Since that fence was there before I bought it, can I claim this property as mine? On King county assessors page it shows that I am still paying taxes on that land.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, I am not sure what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the land located?

Shoreline wa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all that I know, just my property survey and the fact it's a huge chunk of land behind the fence

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. If your surveyor marked off the legal description of your property from the deed -- the property marked off by the survey is your property. If a neighbor improperly placed a fence inside of your property line, that does not change the fact that you own the property on the other side of the fence as marked by the survey. You can claim that property as yours and you can remove or force the removal of the fence that is on your property.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating so I get credit.