Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a condo community in Columbia. They have initiated…

Customer Question
I live in a...

I live in a condo community in Columbia. They have initiated a $750.00 sellers fee to be paid at closing.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We have lots of ?'s and need someone to speak with.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Yatch Cove near the Lake Murray dam.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We feel like they aren't holding the elections the way the Master deed calls for. They are forever trying to change the master deed. Since our condos were built in the 70's they keep saying that we get in to the 21s century.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 day by:
5/29/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 2 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Please continue, I will wait!
Thanks!
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. The site asked me to see if I could assist you. $750.00 is a steep closing fee.

If the Board is not following the procedures set out in the governing documents they have not only breached their fiduciary duty to the owner's they are in breach of contract. The governing documents are a contract between the owners and the Association. You can recall/remove board members, owner's can sue the board members as well. The owner's rights should be set out in the governing documents.

Do you have any additional questions for me? It will be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

Are you online with me?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. Can you see the rating scale on your end at the top of the page, 5 stars?

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Do you have any additional questions for me?