Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a question regarding a water line spot repair

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding a water line spot repair performed on my property

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have provided a letter to that association detailing what I believe to be a fair price based on the contract and previous work performed on my property The amount paid and detailed was less than the full bill sent by the contractor

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

East Windsor

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The contractor does not seem to be in accordance with town excavation requirements that I found online

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I need to understand what my rights are here in terms of authorizing work to be done on my property and to challenge a bill that is over and above competitive quotes and previous bills for similar workscope
Is it fair for the School Hill Association to authorize work to be performed on my property without my consent and then forward the bill to me?
Lastly, do i have the right to request itemized justification for the excavation portion and withhold payment until that is provided?
5/27/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there --

-

Do you have a written contract with the Association regarding fees that they can charge for services such as this or is there either (a) no written contract or (b) the written contract does not permit you to question the charges levied by the association? It does not matter what the Association charges -- what matters is if you have something in writing regarding what the Association can do on your property and how much they can charge for it. Please tell me more about the Association and how they are set up (are there any writings) and how they traditionally levy fees against lot owners. If there is nothing in their paperwork that states that you are permitted to have input into the amount of charges that such workers can charge, you may be out of luck and the Association may have some reason why they hired this particular company (better reputation? more qualified?). These are questions that must be asked and answered before you can levy charges at the Association that the workers they have hired are simply too much money (for example, if the Association only hired a particular company because it belongs to "someones brother or brother in law" and the Association is supposed to, by contract, permit you to have some input into this choice, then you could have a case against them for at least the excess money that was charged over and above what another contractor might charge).

I hope that helps you to understand the position you are in. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I am happy to answer any follow up questions. If not, can you please press the third, fourth or fifth star in the star rating boxes above this conversation or I will be given no credit for assisting you on this question (Just Answer will treat it as if I never gave you an answer and I will not be paid). I do appreciate it very much. THANK YOU

MARY

Thanks

MARY