Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If we purchased a new home after marriage but only my

Customer Question
If we purchased a...

If we purchased a new home after marriage but only my husband's name is ***** ***** and mortgage can he sell without my permission. I made the down payment

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No but I am planning to file for divorce. I sold my house so we could purchase current home. He is in the process of selling his home with a 150k profi

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Chester VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I freeze home once I file for divorce

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/27/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Even without being on title, you have spousal rights in homestead property and no title company or lender would clear this to close without your release.

So, yes, you can hold things up as the spouse of the seller.

If you file for divorce prior to the closing it is likely you can get the court to put a hold on the disbursement of proceeds until the issue is settled.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know, since your satisfaction with my service is important to me.
I am not planning to sell since we are upside down. What is your opinion. I sold my house to by this one and have nowhere to move and no funds. He however is currently selling his house with a $150 profit.
Can you see my answer regarding your spousal rights and the consent required by the title company?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.