Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I purchased a home in Atlanta 11 mos. ago. The realtor

Customer Question
I purchased a home...

I purchased a home in Atlanta 11 mos. ago. The realtor listed the home as having 2807 sf

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I purchased a home in Atlanta 11 mos. ago. It was listed as having 2807 st. I am considering a new hvac system and the hvac company assured me my house is only 2000 plus, not 2800. To me, this house size was misrepresented

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MO lawyer about this?

What is an MO lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This realtor purposely represented the home as being larger than it actually was.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/27/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did you have an inspection?

Did the sale contract list the square footage?

no respectively

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, in almost 35 yrs of practice, I have yet to see a broker's listing that did not contain a disclaimer for the information contained in the listing. So, it is not possible to base a fraud claim on the listing.

The misrepresentation would need to be contained in the actual sale contract to support any claims based upon the inaccuracy. Additionally, the misrepresentation would need to be intentional and knowingly made to support a fraud claim.

If the inspector included the information in his report as a confirmation, you may have a claim against the inspector for breach of contract.

So, I just do not see it likely that a viable claim exists based upon the facts presented in your question.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know, since your satisfaction with my service is important to me.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.