Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband and I recently moved into what we thought was a…

Customer Question
Hello, My husband and...

Hello, My husband and I recently moved into what we thought was a great rental house in North Phoenix. We only saw the house once and never really checked out certain things, but assumed everything was in perfect working order (we saw it when it was occupied by another tenant). The landlord assured us everything was in good shape. We have discovered a few things that need to be fixed and brought it to the attention of the landlord. He has become quite belligerent and has accused us of a)breaking things <we've barely been here 2 weeks> and b) screaming at me that I shouldn't expect things to be perfect as this is ONLY a rental. He also started ranting and screamed ''don't bother to unpack the rest of your boxes, you won't be here very long''. My husband wrote a very calm letter explaining that certain things do require fixing over time and perhaps the previous tenant didn't address them. The landlord has not responded to my husband's letter (which was written 3 days ago). We are worried that he will try to get us out (even tho we have a signed 1-year lease). We would not be completely opposed to moving, but cannot financially as this move was completely unexpected and has pretty much wiped us out completely. What are our rights if both parties want to break the lease in terms of returning all the money we have already given him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Yes, Phoenix, Az

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

One issue is the diswasher doesn't work and we had a repair person here thru his home warranty who said it needs a new control board.... another issue is the toilet is not affixed to the floor - the bolts are all rusted

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are very unhappy with his manners and has been very rude to us

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/27/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

From a purely legal perspective, the problems you have noted, while inconvenient, wouldn't make the property uninhabitable so as to give you legal grounds to break the lease.

.

So if you wanted to negotiate with the landlord to end the lease early, it would be entirely up to you both to negotiate an agreement about how much money he would be willing to refund you. But with a situation like this, normally it would be resolved by you vacating immediately and the landlord keeping one month's rent up front so that he could advertise and find another tenant without losing any rent money..

.

.

thanks

Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 27 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much