Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I just closed on a home and have yet to move in and the air…

Customer Question
I just closed on...

I just closed on a home and have yet to move in and the air conditioning stopped working. I live in Nevada. I have had two estimates from HVAC companies their opinion is that the seller tampered with the unit. The seller refused to pay and air is not under warranty, who is responsible for that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No steps. Only spoke with the Realtor who represents the owner

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NV lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is the basics

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law replied 27 days ago
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Hello my name is Alex.I will be happy to answer your question for education purposes only.Did you conduct an inspection of the house prior to the closing by a certified home inspector?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
he determined the air to be working properly. However the HVAC repair feels he missed the air differential that would have indicated the blockage/Leak in the unit

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you sign any contract with the home inspector that states that the home inspector is not liable in case if there is any issues not discovered by the home inspection?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No, I did not
Real Estate Lawyer: Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law replied 26 days ago

Do you have a copy of your agreement with the home inspector / home inspection company?

Can you review it and see if it limits the liability for the home inspector / home inspection company (it is a standard that most home inspection companies would have language limiting their liability)?