Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have placed a mechanics lien on a commercial glighr

Customer Question
industrial) property, not to be...
I have placed a mechanics lien on a commercial glighr industrial) property, not to be confused with residential, that i worked on for a leaseholder who leases space within said building. I performed work specifically to renovate and rehab the space so that she could sublet parts of it, and I helped devlop her studio space and worked on several projects for her personal career in the space. I have been told that I need a contracting license to file a mechanics lien in this situation. Is this true?
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 25 days ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Yes, unfortunately true if you do not have a license as a contractor. Unlicensed contractors cannot take legal action to enforce their contracts by liening the job. I recommend you try to collect the amount owed through collection letters, etc. and possibly use a collection company to collect the debt since you cannot lien the job or file suit on the contract.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.

Here's some helpful information:

https://www.nationallienlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/NY-Lien-Law-Sum-2013b.pdf