Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm not entirely certain what kind of attorney I should be…

Customer Question
Hello, I'm not entirely certain what...
I'm not entirely certain what kind of attorney I should be asking this question to. It involves my mom (who is 83) and her home, which she has owned for nearly 60 years.
Things have been going very well for her since my father passed, nearly 11 years ago. My father was the "financial expert" and the one to be more assertive about things in their lives. My dad left her in a fairly stable financial situation, but she certainly isn't well to do. Just comfortable. We are very thankful for that.
However, quite recently an adult grandchild with an adult son (and dogs that seemingly can do as they please) have stopped by to "visit" and suddenly determined that they have nowhere else to live. The grandchild is in her late 30's and her son is in his early 20's. Her son is a college student and is out of college for the summer and seems to be quite content just sitting around all day playing video games and watching TV.
My Mom is very kind and caring and never wants to hurt anyone's feelings. She is definitely intelligent, but is also passive.
I live close and have certainly talked to her about this sudden (dropped right on her) situation.
I wonder from a legal standpoint if she could lose some of her rights of her home by allowing them to live there. I'm thinking in terms of squatter rights, which I realize isn't the same. I also wonder, in terms of her social security, taxes, etc. how them living there will impact that. The 38 year old granddaughter did just obtained employment and will be working full time within the next few days. Does this impact my mom's taxes and/or Social Security?
My mom is so stressed and I am honestly looking for a way to get them out. I absolutely believe they are taking advantage of her kindness. She is cooking all their meals and doing all their laundry and she struggles to go up and down the stairs to get to the laundry room. If there is anything "legal" (although realizing there is a lot of ethical) she should be advised of, perhaps she could explain to them that they need to be responsible for themselves.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Wyoming law, it takes 10 years for them to get squatters privileges and rights, but I would suggest that your mom, or you on her behalf, either enter into a short term lease for them to pay rent, or give them an eviction notice. Otherwise, they will continue to take advantage of your mom and that is not right and not fair to her.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.