Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father and I applied for an apartment. I have less then…

Customer Question
My father and I...

My father and I applied for an apartment. I have less then stellar credit so he was the main signer for me. They said he could live there but I could not with my credit. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We have applied for a lease on an apartment, because my credit is less then stellar he was main signer, I was co-signer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the apartment located?

Manchester, NH

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under New Hampshire law, they have to reevaluate the application based upon your father's credit score only, and assuming he passes, then they have to let you live there too as an immediate family member.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

even if he is the main singer and say he doesn’t actually live there but the apartment is in his name and I’m an occupant on the contract they have to let me live there?

Yes, as long as he passes credit and takes full responsiblity for the rent, they cannot prevent you from living there under New Hampshire law.

They denied me again saying that I can’t live there due to my credit that both people have to have good credit to live there and they said that my dad was filling out a fake application with no intentions to live there and that they won’t allow that. Is that legal? And how is this considered a fake app if he just taking full responsibility for me to live there