Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Real Estate question: My landlady is 85 years old and wants…

Real Estate question: My...

Real Estate question: My landlady is 85 years old and wants me to look into this for her: She has a property nestled into a hillside with a driveway to a street below. The 10ft driveway was formerly owned by someone else as a through block passage from one street to the next as a shortcut walkway since the streets weave up the hillside. In the 1920's before there were houses (except for one next door which preceded all others), the then passageway allowed for a perpetual easement to access her property. However in the 1950's when her house was built by an architect owner from who my landlady later bought in 1953, the architect acquired the passageway and it now shows on title as my landlady's property in fee ownership. There was a second easement on the lower passageway for the property below her to access their property.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

The lower property does not want the landlady to use the driveway as passing through disturbs their dog and their dog's barking disturbs the dog's owners. They are trying to prevent use of the driveway, first they sent a note from their lawyer that we would lose rights to the driveway claiming they owned it. We pulled title and proved it was my landlady's. However they still insist I cannot get deliveries and no one including the plumber yesterday can use it as it was written as an access easement only. that is true, originally in the 20's when it was a public passageway it was an access easement only for my landlady as she did not yet own it. However, once the architect purchased and built on it there is no through correspondence from upper street to lower street. It is an entirely different situation now. The landlady owns the driveway, allows the lower property owner to use it as access to theirs as required by the easement. However the lower property owner says the landlady can't park there per the 1920's easement description which prohibited parking on it (as it was a through passage and could not block others from access). However the upper passage no longer exists and is now a side yard for the owner The point is I park at the end of this driveway as a tenant and the lower property owner is pointing to the 1920's easement which prohibits it, under a different scenario when the driveway was owned by a third party. I need the driveway easement rights lifted for my landlady on her own property as the driveway terminates at her yard and parking there blocks no one nor disturbs anyone.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

How do I go about making the driveway legal description relevant to the situation from the 50's when houses were built and the driveway purchased and throughways eliminated rather than the 20's It is located on the border of Santa Monica and West Los Angeles

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I had a friend who is a very expensive RE attorney write a letter to the lawyer of the lower property essentially saying my landlady owns the driveway and their claims and threats that she will lose her rights are inapposite. He left for Ireland for the summer after writing the letter. Upon receipt the lower property owner began video taping our use. Especially the laundry delivery person whom I refuse to reroute his deliveries to the upper street access since it is a busier road and less safe and many steps and not as direct. I refuse to be bullied. Also please know I am quiet, travel for work a lot and she really has no reason to claim how she suffers from the in and outs on the driveway except that she has an unruly dog which I told her she needed to get under control for her own liability...which really set her off. She lets her dog chase people down the driveway as a deterrent. that's enough

5/26/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is an easement there that cannot be obstructed based on what you are saying. The easement is either the deeded easement or an easement by prescription (through use over all these years). The neighbor does not have legal right to obstruct the easement either way, but if they are trying to do so, your landlord will need a local attorney and will have to file a boundary action in court and get the court to declare the easement and issue an injunction against the neighbor from continuing to try to stop the use of the easement, which is the only way to resolve this dispute if the neighbor is causing an issue.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

They have tried to block it in the past but I got them to clear the way.
The issue I have is that there were two easements on the driveway in the 20's before there were houses and it was a passageway open to the public but not publicly owned. Easement 1 to the lower property. Easement 2 to my landlady's property. The driveway runs alongside the lower property and terminates at my landlady's property. My landlady wishes to park at the terminus but is being told by lower property it isn't allowed by the easement restrictions, however the situation has changed in every way and that restriction needs to be lifted. How do I do that?
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started