Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor is asking for a variance to convert a one family…

Customer Question
Hi, My neighbor is...

Hi, My neighbor is asking for a variance to convert a one family house to two by adding an 800 square foot addition. I live in a primarily single family neighborhood zoned R2. I have zero privacy from the neighbor and the new addition will add more prying eyes into my backyard. Plus, I don't want a two family next door - been there, done that. He's a cop and has a handicapped child..he wants his parents to move in. I am the only neighbor truly impacted. Curious about how to proceed...

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

He filed for a variance - meeting is next Thursday when I have a real estate closing...

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Gloucester, MA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No one else in the hood is impacted. There is another cop who has a duplex on 2 acres...this cop has 20,000 square feet....

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law

25 May 2018 06:30Hi, My neighbor is asking for a variance to convert a one family house to two by adding an 800 square foot addition. I live in a primarily single family neighborhood zoned R2. I have zero privacy from the neighbor and the new addition will add more prying eyes into my backyard. Plus, I don'twant a two family next door - been there, done that. He's a cop and has a handicapped child..he wants his parents to move in. I am the only neighbor truly impacted. Curious about how to proceed...

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Gloucester, MA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

5/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

It would be better if you can find another neighbor here to argue against it.Surely your neighbors although unaffected directly understand this will change your neighborhood forever.Once they allow one of these they will have to allow more of them.Traffic, density, lack of privacy ,etc are all valid issues to present.

If you can get more to help attend and testify you have abetter chance here.I very much understand your arguments and the need to oppose.This is a major change and others should see it too because there will be more of it.

I appreciate the chance to help you .Prayers to you here with all.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you. I doubt they will... they would rather moan and groan about the pothole in the road...

Then you may have to sue here.Certainly you have great facts to do so.