Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have recently purchased a home. Because the generator was…

Customer Question
I have recently purchased a...
I have recently purchased a home. Because the generator was bolted down to a concrete block, it was included in the purchase. Living in southern Florida, it is an essential piece of equipment. In the sellers disclosure, it was not reported as not working. We have now found out it does not work and would require an expensive repair. Our neighbor told us that the owner knew it did not work. I realize this is hearsay. Do I have a legal right to request the owner either repair or replace the generator?
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/25/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 25 days ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes you could sue in small claims claiming breach of sales contract and failure to disclose.You can also send demand letters to inspector and realtor if they failed to check it either.

Why not threaten them with demand letters for small claims if they don't pay up, then decide if you want to sue in small claims for all.You might get partial offers of settlement here.

You can sue up to $5k here..

A small claims case is a legal action filed in county court to settle minor legal disputes among parties where the dollar amount involved is $5,000 or less, excluding costs, interest, and attorneys' fees. Forms that have been approved for statewide use are located within the Florida Small Claims Rules.

Small Claims - Florida Courts

www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/...information/small-claims.stml

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.