Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My wife and I are about to buy a second home. We plan to…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I are about to buy a second home. We plan to rent it for short-term or long-term rental until we are closer to retirement, perhaps five years or so from now. For that period, we would like to declare it a rental property with all of the related deductions, however, we make more than $150k, so our deduction is limited to an amount that just offsets our income. Under these circumstances, does it make sense to declare it a rental home for tax purposes? Will we take a big hit on taxes if we convert it to a primary residence a few years from now? Would it be better to just rent it and pay taxes on the income, without declaring it a rental property? We are in the 37% federal tax bracket.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Just a purchase contract. We are in the home inspection, etc., phase, with a closing date about three weeks from now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Heathsville, Virginia (a rural area on the Potomac River).

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
In case it makes a difference for your answer, the home is worth about $700k, we are paying about 75% in cash, we will pay off the mortgage in about two years. The property generated last year about $20k in short-term rental income, and could generate perhaps 1.5x to 2x that with a little more effort.
Answered in 1 day by:
5/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 22 days ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under these circumstances, you best move is just to pay taxes on the additional rental income but not declare it as a rental property for tax purposes. You can still take the deduction for your expenses.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer