Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor is illegally putting down concrete next to my…

Customer Question
My neighbor is illegally putting...
My neighbor is illegally putting down concrete next to my fence and coming across my fence line. When I put my fence app I put it six in this side of my property line now they are pouring concrete without a permit and it is passing my fence line and coming right up next to my fence I need help
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/25/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 28 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This appears to be a trespass to land because they are letting the concrete ontoy our land. Trespass to land occurs when someone enters onto the land of another. They do not have to intend to enter onto the land, they just have to be on the land of another without authorization. A person is not a trespasser if they were invited onto the land (e.g. houseguest) or if they are contractually obligated to be on the land (e.g. an employee at the corporate office). Otherwise, it’s a trespass. A trespass can even occur if a defendant causes someone or something to enter onto the land as well. The usual measure of damages are either nominal damages (one dollar) if there is no actual harm done to the land or actual damages if there is harm done (e.g. if the ground has been demolished by a vehicle on the land).

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that they remove the concrete immediately or face a lawsuit. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
This did not help me thank you anyway please cancel my membership effective today

I'm sorry to hear about that. How else could I help you? We can have a dialogue about this. Please keep in mind that I only have very, very limited information. What is it that I could assist you with?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Np

Is there something that is confusing or concerning about my answer? Is there additional information you'd like to provide?