Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have a family memeber squating in our family home that is…

Customer Question
We have a family...

We have a family memeber squating in our family home that is un inhabitable how to we legaly get her off

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

We have tried to simple eveict but she has ignored the papers. the home is unliveable and water and suage from them is bulding up

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She owns 1/3 of the property and we own 2/3 but she has ran it down to a drug dealing property

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/25/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Andrew, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thank you

So sorry to hear about your situation. If she owns 1/3 of the property then technically she is not squatting she is an owner. If she refuses to pay reasonable rent or let someone else lease the property your only option may be to seek a court order to partition the property or to be able to sell it without her consent. If you really want to strong arm her you could report to the police for the drug dealing and get her removed and then clear her out when she is in jail. More than likely you are going to have file in court to partition the property and get a court order though.

Did you have any further questions that I could answer? If not I would appreciate it if you would rate my answer (5 stars is appreciated). Thank you!

Real Estate Lawyer: Andrew, Lawyer replied 28 days ago

If more issues crop up please contact me! Here is the link to my profile:

https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-expert-andy/?rpt=3800

Ratings are at the top of the page! Good luck!