Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I assumed a loan, so I am on title. An addendum stated that…

I assumed a loan...

I assumed a loan, so I am on title. An addendum stated that if I didn't make all my balloon payments and refinance in 3 years then the seller has the right to foreclose on the property. I made 3 thirty thousand dollar payments on time but am still going through the refinance process. The contract date was on May 19th 2015. It seems like I am in breach of contract since I haven't refinanced. My question is. What can he legally do? Can he actually foreclose since the bank actually owns the property? Can he sue me and get the property back?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I've filed my refinance paperwork. Just trying to come up with the down payment

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Lake county, ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Just wondering where I stand and if I should continue to try to refinance

5/23/2018
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

We would need to see what you signed with the Seller as well as the mortgage assumption paperwork to answer your question. Can you attach the documents?

I can try to upload the contract and send it. Might take a few minutes

No worries. Take your time.

A few of the files I tried to attach were too large. Here is the addendum page. Is there a way I can email all of them? Or I can keep trying to send them one at a time

Any way you can get them to me will work.

I don't see your email address anywhere

One moment please let provide the site contact to email of fax documents.

Call Customer Care

Please have your Order ID available when calling Customer Care

US / Canada 1-***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

We do need to know if the lender placed your name on the loan. You stated you are on title, did the seller convey their title to you with a deed?

I have an "Assignment of purchaser's interest in deed of trust" where is pretty much states he signed over the deed of trust. This was drafted by the bank. Signed, notarized and returned to the bank. My name is ***** ***** loan but since I assumed his loan, he is on there as well. So if I stopped making the payments then he would be responsible.
I called and got an email address so I'll send that over so maybe you can look at the contract. Thank you for your help!

You will want to continue to try to refinance as I see a binding agreement in the attachment that you provided.

Yes, you both are named on the loan because the seller's liability is not removed with an assumption. The seller remains liable. The deed of trust is the loan document and not the title. He remains on title so both the seller and the lender have an interest in the loan and the title. You signed a separate agreement with the Seller.

In these situations most attorneys and agents will set up conditions for the assumption as a contract. In the event the Purchaser breaches the contract the seller no longer has to deliver title. We really need see what the contract says so I can find if this is in your favor. It would be my pleasure to review and try to find the most favorable outcome for you.

The files are taking awhile to load. If the seller does not have to deliver the title because I breached the contract can I receive the title if my refinance goes through?

Provided there is no breach you would receive title. If the process is taking longer than you expected you can also formally ask the seller to extend the time for a refinance. You would send the extension request certified mail return receipt requested.

I just emailed the contract to the support email. The problem is that the seller does not like me and might want to take the property back and probably wouldn't grant an extension. Wondering if and how he would go about filing the breach of contract? When talking to the bank they told me that they own the property and are not going to foreclose as I have been making the payments. I'm also trying to refinance through that same bank. If they approve the refinance can they give me the title. And if so can the seller sue me for breach of contract and and then I have to sign the property back to him? It's going to cost me $25,000 downpayment so I don't want to pay off more of the mortgage if he can just take it back.
Please look over the contract and then let me know what you think. Thank you!

Let's wait until I see the contract. You have 2 separate agreements in this case. You have a loan agreement with the Seller and the lender and you have a contract with the seller. The contract with the seller should set out the seller's right and remedies in the case of a breach/default. The lender is not a party to the contract you have with the seller.

The seller is on the mortgage and the title. The bank would only have the power to transfer title to the named borrowers and not you alone as you are both liable for the loan.

Ok. Lets see what the contract says

Thank you.

Have you had a chance to look over the contract?
I have not received the contract yet.
I just called and I guess they are working on getting it over to you.
Great
Can you maybe ask them to forward you the email I sent. I’ve called them multiple times asking them to send them. I’m stressing on the situation as depending on what the contract says I might still have a grace period to before I breach contract. Thank you!
I will ask them.
I heard back from the site. I should have the document(s) you provided shortly. I will let you know the minute I open the document(s).

There is no question that your contract with the seller/owner is contingent upon you refinancing by the July date. The seller can terminate the contract if this does not occur and you are not provided with an extension. This is a separate matter from the lender. I do not see anything that indicates you are on title. I see that you should be named as a borrower on the mortgage.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. Can you see the rating scale on your end at the top of the page, 5 stars?

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

I've honestly been happy with your help. Even when I've been upset with my situation. You'll get a 5 star rating for sure. I do have a couple more questions for you.
Thank you. I would really appreciate the positive rating.
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
You said that I need to refinance by the July date? I see on the addendum that I needed to make a $10,000 payment by July 4th, 2016. My contract was signed on May 19th, 2015. It also says that I have 3 years to refinance out of 1st existing note. Can you please explain how you are reading this? And how you see I have until July to refinance? If I did that would be great but I would like to understand how. Thank you!
My mistake. You have to make the $10,000 in July.
You have 3 years to refinance from the May 19, 2015 date.
because it is past 3 years of when I signed the contract I'm in breach? I believe it's the 6th page...paragraph 25. Buyer has 1 year to pay balloon payment of $10,000- due on July 4, 2016. Could it possibly be read that 1 have 3 years, until July 4, 2018 to refinance?

I will take a look a look again.

Did you make the balloon payment on July 4, 2016?

The good news is there is no reference to when the three years starts. That better news is that any attorney that is skilled in this area of law will be able to assist you if the seller tries to foreclose you. JA is a general information site. Pursuant to the terms of service of the site the Attorneys cannot enter into Attorney/Client relationships with customers of the site. That being said, you could not hire me, but I am confident that if the Seller wants to push this matter the court does not like to side with a forfeiture if there is any other resolution.

Do you have any additional questions for me?