Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our next door neighbor hit our motor vehicle. we are

Our next door neighbor...

Our next door neighbor hit our motor vehicle. we are renting. we had the property surveyed. The neighbor has put her gate over her property line and onto this property. She refuses to move it. We want a fencer to install a fence. can we remove the lock from her gate which is on this property and move it out of the way to install our front fence between the property

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We had the land surveyed. The surveyor stated that her entire fence beside the property is on our side of the property line. We sent the neighbor a certified letter return receipt requested. We sent the owner of the property a certified letter return receipt requested. They ignore my requests and say that it is "bullshit" and it is in my head.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the land located?

8399 91st Terrace, Seminole, Fl 33777

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The neighbor has harassed us on many occasions. She plays loud music, makes loud noises, curses and ran the neighbor off out back because of her obscenities. The vehicle being hit was over the top.

5/21/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

If you are sure the fence or gate encroaches on your property, and the neighbor refuses to remove it back behind their own property line, you can have it removed from your property, to the extent you can do so without trespassing.

Then you can sue them for the damages, including the cost of removal, of the trespass.

If the claim does not exceed $5000, you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer