Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father passed away without a will 5 years ago. He owned a…

My father passed away...

My father passed away without a will 5 years ago. He owned a home & had a mortgage at the time of his passing. My nephew has been living in the house since my father's passing and has been paying the mortgage. He owes roughly $40,500 on the loan & the property is valued at $137,000. I have 5 sisters that are entitled to the house. Can we file a Small Estate Affidavit to transfer the title to us and avoid probate?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No steps taken, since my nephew agreed to pay the mortgage in my fathers name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Phoenix, AZ

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/21/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You could use a small estate affidavit here.You would need to record it in the real proeprty records and then he uses it to assume the loan.Once the affidavit is on file the other heirs would have to do a quit claim to transfer their interest to him.

Forms and self help

PDF]Small Estate AFFIDAVIT For Transfer of Property When a Person has ..

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer