Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor after abattle(which I won after an $18000 cost…

My neighbor after a*****battle(which...

My neighbor after a*****battle(which I won after an $18000 cost in legal fee"s) has know started filling in an area in front of my property (an easement) will gravel etc.--saying he is doing this so I can park in front of my property without walking in water after a heavy rain..This property is a vacant lot that I have owned an maintained for over 40 years--I do not park there except when I go over to do maintenance on the lot--he however has taken to parking in front of my lot even tho he has a drive way in front of his home. Have talked with him an told him I don't want him to do anything on my easement. I have in the passed sent him a certified letter telling him I was putting him on trespassing notice (because after the court suit was settled he continued to mow on my property--even tho I put a fence up). After the official trespassing notice was sent to him. He stopped trying to work on my lot -but has now decided to work on my easement. I'm not sure what I can do to get him to stop. I don't want to go into a lot more legal expenses.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No-I have notified our Island livability office an I plan on writing an sending him a cert. letter to stop all active on my easement. I was just wondering what more I could do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the vacant lot located?

In a subdivision on the Isle Of Palms Sc 29451

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The legal suite I won was because the neighbor was trying to assume approximately 1/8 of my large lot- because I had let 5 previous owners mow a small section of my lot without objection--The neighbor brought his house an lot out of bankruptcy. He then proceeded to try to get that piece of property through adverse possession. He had to try an show 20 years of continuous maintenance, which he could not do. This easement is considered my property for maintenance but I hear from the livabilty court that the state has certain rights to that section of the property.

5/17/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

Of course one can seek a restraining order and request attorney fees and costs but it sounds like the emotional cost is not worth it;

one may also contact the local law enforcement agency and report trespass per the following statute:

SECTION 16-11-520. Malicious injury to tree, house, outside fence, or fixture; trespass upon real property.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to wilfully and maliciously cut, mutilate, deface, or otherwise injure a tree, house, outside fence, or fixture of another or commit any other trespass upon real property of another.

(B) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a:

(1) felony and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both, if the injury to the property or the property loss is worth ten thousand dollars or more;

(2) felony and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than five years, or both, if the injury to the property or the property loss is worth more than two thousand dollars but less than ten thousand dollars;

(3) misdemeanor triable in magistrates court or municipal court, notwithstanding the provisions of Sections 22-3-540, 22-3-545, 22-3-550, and 14-25-65, if the injury to the property or the property loss is worth two thousand dollars or less. Upon conviction, the person must be fined not more than one thousand dollars, or imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Further questions please post here.

If no further questions kindly rate positively so the site credits me for my time.

The above information is for educational purposes only; if one seeks legal advice please contact the local bar association for a referral to a licensed attorney in your area that is able to review your case in a private, confidential setting and will be able to tailor advise specific to your situation.

The information was helpful. But it appears that if he keeps up after I have made further contact with our livability court here on the Island, an sent my cert. letter to him, I will need to seek legal services from a local attorney. I thank you for your time an advise.
Sir, I thought your advise was an additional 31$ plus my good faith 5$ fee?? How did you come up with $59??

Unfortunately if local law enforcement will not pursue charges under the trespassing code then unfortunately that is correct;

I'm sorry - I don't have access to the billing - i believe you may be referencing the additional charge for the automated phone call request (which I don't participate in so any follow up questions can be addressed on this page).

If you have any billing issues please contact customer service at

ww2.justanswer.com/help.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator