Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I will be brief as possible. colorado is the state. No i…

I will be brief...

I will be brief as possible. colorado is the state

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No i have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CO lawyer about this?

No i have not. I talked to my attorney in texas and he advised me that I needed a colorado lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No maam ok

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/16/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Hello; what is your question please?

signed at lease for $1990 in July 17, got renewal notice at $2100 two week ago, signed it, new property managment company took over in that two weeks, today I got an email saying that they are revoking that $2100 rate and now want $2495 and I have one week to renew.
I am trying to figure out if the renewal they sent me is legally binding. It would have been if I signed it and walked out. Just looking for some direction.
I can send documents if you wish.

I'm sorry; I'm not able to review legal documents as that would require an attorney client relationship, a conflict of interest check and a private forum. I can only provide information.

So to be clear the lease was signed by both parties and it is a one year lease?

The original lease was signed by both parties one year ago. Then I signed an "Intent to renew" which agreed upon a lease amount for the next 12 months. Now they have come back and told me they want more, to the tune of an additional $4,000 + per year.

If it is an actual lease then it is binding and one party cannot arbitrarily change the terms of the lease for the entire duration of the lease unless there is a clause to the contrary.

However if it is a letter of intent that is generally just a first step and is done to help clarify terms and avoid misunderstandings. They are typically not binding unless it clearly states that it will go into effect if not revoked by a certain date (this is called a Trial Engagement Letter).

But if it is a traditional letter of intent then it is not legally binding.

Further questions please post here.

If no further questions kindly rate positively so the site credits me for my time.

The above information is for educational purposes only; if one seeks legal advice please contact the local bar association for a referral to a licensed attorney in your area that is able to review your case in a private, confidential setting and will be able to tailor advise specific to your situation.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Thank you so much. Have a great rest of your day.-CC

Thank you for the positive rating. Enjoy your day as well. Take care.