Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The former owners of our house sold 10' of property to the…

The former owners of our...
The former owners of our house sold 10' of property to the former owners of the neigboring hoys so that the could build a shed to hold their firewood. The new owners store snowmobiles in the shed and are continually driving them through our yard, the whole yatd not just the shed to the alley. Do we have to allow this. He has put a stake in at the property line with no tresspassing signs but insists that he can use our yard because of easement laws.
5/16/2018
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

The only portion of real property that the neighbor can use is the 10' they purchased. Did you close the purchase of your real property through a title insurance company?

we did

The title insurance policy would set out any easements. If there are no easements in your policy that benefit the neighbor they cannot trespass. Do you have a copy of the title policy?

we do

Can you attach the policy?

i'm not sure what parts to attach

There is a schedule A and B.

I highly doubt that they have an actual easement through your property.

There is no way you would have purchased the land with your neighbors being able to drive through your yard. If there was any such agreement with the seller the seller needed to disclose this to you.

You can call the title company and ask them if there is such an easement.

Thank you

I think the neighbors are full of it.

I'm looking through the stack of documents.

Where in Illinois is the real property located?

Amboy in Lee county

Any easements would also show up on the deed and a survey if you received a survey.

I have a copy of the survey in hand and it doesn't show anything about an easement

Easements are generally in the back of a property for utility company purposes.

I can provide a link for Attorneys in your area that provide free consultations if that would help?

The shed is made of lattice and has 2 eight foot doors which open on to our property but one of the sides is at the alley.
That would be great

One moment please.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. Can you see the rating scale on your end at the top of the page, 5 stars? You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration.
Thank you. We have been here for 27 years and loved the old neighbor but this one is a piece of work

It sounds horrible.

You are most welcome. Are you able to see the rating scale at the top of the page on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.

I just found the papers. Schedule A&B ; can i send them to you

Yes. Please attach them.

I'm not sure if this works

The only language I see is rights of way for drainage ditches...

The policy states that it does not insure over unrecorded easements. I do not see any language that provides an easement.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
thank you!

Thank you.