Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a condo. resident manager be considered a tenant in

Can a condo. resident...

Can a condo. resident manager be considered a tenant in Hawaii?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

A demand has been filed in court by an apartment owner of the condo. owner where I have been living to recover rent payment for my residing there beyond my move-out date. I have a trial date in mid-June. I hve been res mgr. there since 08/93 and have never paid rent there.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Hawaii lawyer about this?

I have spoken briefly with two lawyers, but thus far have gotten no info.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was fired in Jan. of this year after a very bad year of deep depression.Could not summon the strength to relo quickly, had nowhere to go and no money. I have since found a place to live, am still broke and unemployed, have been denied unemployment due to disability, and am being sued by condo. owner,

Answered in 1 day by:
5/17/2018
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.
Oh gosh, my friend, I'm sorry. I hate to pile on the bad stuff in what appears to be a pretty bad situation for you - but yes, if someone is living in a certain place and then they're asked to leave and they don't - they can be evicted. So whatever their designation is (and they would be deemed a "tenant" / "holdover tenant" in this case) they can be evicted regardless whether they HAD a permissible reason for originally being where they were. I want you to know the landscape so you'll be prepared to respond. I don't do this for the ratings - I do this so that people can have the information they need (rather than just spinning their wheels) - and unfortunately sometimes that means giving good people information they don't love to receive. I really hope you understand that I'm just trying to help. If you give me a "bad" or "negative" rating for "good" information I'll be upset - and we do see those ratings instantaneously - but I understand that this is your choice. Please ask me anything - I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.

I don't mind being evicted. In fact, I have alrerady left prior to eviction. My issue is that now I'm being sued for the over-stay rent, for apartment cleaning and repair, and I was never the lessee, But thank you anyway.

You'll want to make sure they followed the law in notifying you of *alleged* damage to the apartment so that you're not charged more than they are entitled to.

Thanks again.
excellent service.

It's my pleasure :) Happy to help. If I can ever be of assistance in the future, you can reach me directly by going to: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-droliviak-jd-md/?rpt=3800 or selecting me as a Favorite. If it's not too much trouble, could you take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you; there should be a stars based system that you can check off to submit the rating. 5 STARS is always appreciated but definitely not required. Best of luck to you!

Olivia Kent