Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Are we legally obligated to rent a place if we have been…

Are we legally obligated...

Are we legally obligated to rent a place if we have been approved, but not signed anything, nor paid any deposits/fees/anything?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Only reviewed a blank lease, and asked to make ammendments to it before I go any further. no payments have been made (not even application fees), nor have I signed anywhere agreeing to the lease terms

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Pflugerville, Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so. I just want to make sure I can move on and rent another property, I have to move very soon

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/16/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
hello?
No, without signing a lease or taking possession of the premises, you have no obligation to enter into a lease for the property. You are free to walk away without legal penalty or obligation.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
who answers my question?
sorry, missed that comment above
Not a problem.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.
this answer is specific to ALL states?
this would be true everywhere in the US.
There is no state which would legslly require you to move forward with a lease in these circumstances.
Loren, Lawyer
thank you
You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.