Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Recently divorced. Jointly owned house no mortgage. It is…

Recently divorced. Jointly owned house...
Recently divorced. Jointly owned house no mortgage. It is currently listed with a real estate broker in Virginia. If husband wishes to buy out wife with a quit claim deed. not pay real estate commission... do we need to cancel listing? Or are we still responsible for commission even tho sale not to third party?
5/15/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

In a situation like this, if the ex-spouse is going to buy them out, they can cancel the listing and handle it on their own. This is not a sale of the entire home and only a buy out of the other spouses share/interest, so it is not as though they would be entitled to a commission. Moreover, they did not present a buyer who is ready, willing and able to close so if one party is going to buy out the other, they can advise the realtor of the same and that they will not be selling.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

RealEstateAnswer