Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How do i know i can trust you with my credit card number?

How do i know...

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

This is an auto response. you have not answered my real question.

Lawyer's Assistant: I apologize.

So are you a real person?

Lawyer's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the lawyer more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Where is the property located?

Birmingham, Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We lie 200 miles away from Birmingham. Al. We have a small piece of land that we've been trying to give away. No mortgage; all paid for. No charity wants it! Maybe it's because it's in a bad neighborhood. It had a small house which burnt down a few years back when e tenant accidentally left the gas on. So it's basically just a piece of property in a rather bad neighborhood that no one wants. We were told to just stop the property tax so the city will take it. I skipped the last couple of taxes. We just had notice that we needed to cut the weeds growing on the lot. If not the cost will be added to our taxes. Now we are wondering what we should do. Just ignore the notice?

Hello, is anyone there?
5/15/2018
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Thank you! Sorry for typos.

No worries... I don't mind the typos. I'm afraid that you'll accomplish exactly one thing by ignoring the notice regarding the weeds (or any other notice from the city) - and that is ensuring that the city fines you REPEATEDLY for failing to care for a property that you own. This is your property and therefore you're under an obligation to take care of it until and unless it is no longer yours. I want you to know the landscape so you'll be prepared to respond. And then if you choose to disregard that, that is of course your right. I don't do this for the ratings - I do this so that people can have the information they need (rather than just spinning their wheels) - and unfortunately sometimes that means giving good people information they don't love to receive. I really hope you understand that I'm just trying to help. If you give me a "bad" or "negative" rating for "good" information I'll be upset - and we do see those ratings instantaneously - but I understand that this is your choice. Please ask me anything - I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.

Olivia Kent
Phone call session started