Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If I own a house acquired in 2004 that had a fence already…

If I own a...

If I own a house acquired in 2004 that had a fence already installed and in 2018 the neighbor claims it is not on the property line can I claim prescriptive easement?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I wanted to see if I have a case. Also the fence was installed by owner of my house and there have been two other owners of the neighbors house

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Brentwood tn

5/14/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

waiting to hear answer
still here

Here is the code that addresses boundary fences as property lines:

Part 2. Partition Fences § 44-8-201. Definition Partition fences, within the meaning of this part, are fences erected on the line between lands owned by different persons; but no owner of land is compelled to allow a neighbor to join a fence exclusively on that person's own land.

A homeowner can also claim title to land that they do not legally own under the doctrine of adverse possession; this requires an open, continuous and hostile use of the land; please see:

http://www.tnstate.edu/extension/documents/Adverse_Possession.pdf

Under code 20-33-7-2, -

thank you- sorry, it takes some time to review the various statutes and then type a response; I'm almost done; thank you for your patience.

Under code 20-33-702, it takes 7 years if one has "color of title"; otherwise it is 20 years.
Color of title means some type of document that shows the person has a claim.

Further questions please post here.

If no further questions kindly rate positively so the site credits me for my time.

The above information is for educational purposes only; if one seeks legal advice please contact the local bar association for a referral to a licensed attorney in your area that is able to review your case in a private, confidential setting and will be able to tailor advise specific to your situation.

I don't want title to the land --I just don't want to move the fence. can prescriptive easement apply and can you do it if the fence was up 17 years?

Unfortunately a prescriptive easement is a form of adverse possession and that as well requires 20 years;

Please see case law here

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator