Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We sold our house in November. The two burners on the DCS…

We sold our house...

We sold our house in November. The two burners on the DCS stove were not working properly. We agreed to pay for them to be repaired. Our authorized appliance person cam out. The new owner wanted some repair on the stove, which it didn't need. The new owner went to another repair service and had four burners replaced at a total of $1000 instead of the $400 jthat our appliiance service was going to charge. Now the new owner wants us to pay the full invoice or is tell us he will take us to co urt. This has been going on since Dec. 12. Do we have to pay for the four burners? I think our realtor didn't handle this very well.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Just emails and text from our relator as the go between

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Auburn, Ca we are in Yuba City

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that this man has been horrible to work with and believes the law is on his side. Once he went to another appliance place and told us he was going in a different direction, he never asked us if this was ok with us.

5/14/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
You are not liable for work you did not authorize.
Additionally, if they closed without anything in writing obligating you to pay for repairs then the doctrine of merger may cut off any further claim on their part over the condition of the appliances.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Are you online with me?
The agreement was email and verbal that we would pay for two burners only. So if we do go to court can we ask for money for time off for work
You can not be compensated for time off, but any claim is likely going to be brought by the buyer, not you.
The buyer has no right to compensation, from what you describe.
paying him 500 for half the invoice would be our legal responsibility correct?
Just pay whatever was the agreement. Any additional work they ordered, without your permission, is their problem, not yours.
I thank you
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Lawyer