Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Joint tenancy, how can a spouse sell without your signature.

Joint tenancy, how can...

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the spouse taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

They sold already

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This was 1995

5/12/2018
socrateaser, Lawyer

NOTICE: If you are presented with an offer for a phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me, please know that this is an automated website offer, and that I do not participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then do not accept the phone call offer, because your request will be accepted by a random contributor, who may or may not be licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction – and, I will be unable to provide further assistance. Instead, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose.
I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court, I am a California licensed real estate broker, and I have comprehensive information about all areas of California and federal law.

If you held the property in joint tenancy with your spouse, then unless you signed the deed transferring your share of the property to a new purchaser, then your spouse could only transfer one half of the property, and you would retain ownership of the other one half.

Of course, if your spouse were to forge your signature on the deed, and obtain a notary acknowledgment from a notary public who was willing to commit a fraud, then that would satisfy the requirements sufficient to transfer the entire property. Absent that sort of criminal act by your spouse, you would still own one half of the property.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Thank you, I’ll find me an attorney to move forward.’

You're welcome. Thanks for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer