Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Land contract

Customer Question
land contract
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/13/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly explain.

What is your question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Back in 2004, me and my husband bought a house on a land contract. We ended up losing the house because the people we bought it from was not making payments to the mortgage company. Since then my husband has passed away. I have recently been contacted by a lawyer saying that if me and my children don't sign a quit claim title they will take us to court and sue us. They said they need me to sign this because they can't get a title to the house so they want me and my children to sign saying we no longer have interest in the house. My question is, am I entitled to any of the money I paid on the house nor should I just sign the paper? The house is in Kentucky and I currently live in Tennessee. I can't get up to Kentucky to get a lawyer. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your Questions:

Back in 2004, me and my husband bought a house on a land contract. We ended up losing the house because the people we bought it from was not making payments to the mortgage company. Since then my husband has passed away. I have recently been contacted by a lawyer saying that if me and my children don't sign a quit claim title they will take us to court and sue us.

Response 1: Let them file a lawsuit against you. I am not sure why the threat is being made since you are not the one that broke the agreement, the seller did. Also, the Attorney cannot get you to do his job for him through threats. If his client is having problems getting clear and marketable to the property because of the land contract, then he needs to file suit to quiet title, or pay you ALL the money you paid on the land contract in order for you to sign a Quitclaim Deed.

They said they need me to sign this because they can't get a title to the house so they want me and my children to sign saying we no longer have interest in the house.

Response 2: Well, too bad for them. They need your help but they are trying to use threats to get it. Nonetheless, it is no prudent for you to sign the Quitclaim Deed without being compensated-- without the return of ALL the money you paid on the land contract.

My question is, am I entitled to any of the money I paid on the house nor should I just sign the paper?

Response 3: You are entitled to the money you paid. Otherwise, it is NOT prudent to sign the Quitclaim Deed. If they want you to sign a Quitclaim Deed to release any claim you may have on the property because of the land contract, you MUST be refunded ALL the money you paid on the land contract. You cannot sign a Quitclaim Deed, but get nothing in return.

The house is in Kentucky and I currently live in Tennessee. I can't get up to Kentucky to get a lawyer. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Response 4: See my previous responses. You should not be intimidated into doing the Attorney's job for him. You should not sign any Quitclaim Deed without the return of the money you paid on the land contract.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.

How should I go about asking for compensation? Should I do it on my own or hire a lawyer? They emailed me again today and said in addition to the quit claim deed they would have to do a quiet title action. I don’t know what any of this means and I can’t get to Kentucky to hire a lawyer.

I cannot tell you how to go about asking for compensation because I am not your Attorney. The terms of this service prohibit Attorneys from the site from acting as your Attorney.

You can retain the services of a local Attorney to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Google.com

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

However, I answered your initial question and provided you with detailed information that can assist you in making a decision. So, a positive rating to my post is requested in order for me to get paid by the site for my efforts.

Thank you for your cooperation.