Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am the only one on my mortgage loan and I am married. I am…

I am the only...

I am the only one on my mortgage loan and I am married. I am trying to refi my loan and my name will be the only name on the loan, my husband and I signed a Warranty deed a few years ago, but this does not make him responsible for the payment. I am concerned what will happen to the house if I die. Should I look into filling out another type of form that would allow him to stay in the home?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

The loan process has been started and we are to close on June 1st.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Plano Texas

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/12/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

You need not worry.

Under the provisions of the Garn-St. Germain Act, relatives of deceased mortgage borrowers inheriting those borrowers' homes are allowed to keep those homes' mortgages as well. Garn-St. Germain even allows relatives inheriting mortgaged homes to keep those homes' mortgages in the deceased borrowers' names. Basically, surviving spouses, children, grandchildren or other relatives who are left mortgaged homes have the right to pay on their deceased spouse's or father's mortgages without fear of foreclosure. Surviving relatives must reside in the mortgaged homes left them by their deceased relatives to take on those mortgages, though.

Usually, mortgage lenders are more concerned with receiving mortgage payments than about going through with a foreclosure. Generally speaking, mortgage lenders are aware of the regulations contained within Garn-St. Germain and mortgage due-on-sale clause preemption. Finally, surviving relative still must notify mortgage lenders of their intent to take over the mortgage as soon as possible.

So, your husband will be able to continue living in the home and making payments on the mortgage should anything happen to you.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

One more question if I die and my husband decides to pay off the home, can he get the deed in his name?

Yes, if you leave it to him in your will and it goes through probate.

Loren, Lawyer