Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is it legal to move a mailbox of a neighbor that is on your…

Is it legal to...

Is it legal to move a mailbox of a neighbor that is on your property?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Talked multiple times with the neighbor and he seems will ing for the move but has done nothing about it over a period of greater than one year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Portland OR

5/11/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

H​ello. Let me see if I can assist. If the neighbor's mailbox is on your property and he has refused to move it, you are allowed to remove the mailbox. I recommend a final written letter to the neighbor telling him to the move the mailbox by a certain date or you will remove it. If he does not take action, you can remove it from your property and place it on his property. Note - you cannot throw the mailbox or its content away and you cannot tamper with any of the mail in the mailbox (federal offense).

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.

Lori
Lori, Lawyer