Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can I buy a property under my name and wife in common,

hello,Can I buy a property...
hello,Can I buy a property under my name and wife in common, applying for a loan under my name, and then transfer deed to my wife only, but keep the loan only under my name?
5/9/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Yes, you could possibly do this. However, you need to read the terms and conditions of the loan and see if there is an issue with this, by the lender. You want to make sure that this would not result in them being able to accelerate the loan and demand payment in full if this happens. You would still be liable on the loan but just want to make sure if you were to give up your legal right and interest in the home and just place it under her name, that there is no issue.

but, The Garn-St. Germain Depository Institutions Regulations Act states:a lender cannot enforce a due-on-sale clause for “a transfer where the spouse or children of the borrower become an owner of the property.” This protects transfers to your spouse or children.

Yes, you are correct. I am just sharing with you, to be diligent and read the terms and conditions of the mortgage/note. Should it be an issue? No but you need to be aware of any terms or conditions which may be included. No reason to get involved with a lawsuit.

Terms and conditions have the due-on-sale note without major descriptions.
Federal & TX Law state allows transferring deed to spouse and lender cannot activate the due on sale clause for this reason, does not specify is the only spouse after the deed transfer needs to be on the loan agreement...12 U.S. Code § 1701j-3 - Preemption of due-on-sale prohibitions

Yes, your liability will remain and as long as the mortgage is paid, there should be no issue.

Second questions is:the Company that I work for is being reimbursed for rent expenses under our consulting services contract and the company is transferring the benefit to employees as this is the client's intention. I had already purchased a home before the reimbursement was made available. If I rent a property in my wife's name and receive a reimbursement in the rent amount specified in the contract, would be illegal? is there a difference if my lives or not in the property I am renting?
Thank you and I would kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time for my help with the previous question and this one is outside the scope of the original and different. After, I would be happy to respond. Thank you for understanding.
RealEstateAnswer
Why would you do this if you are buying a home? What does the contract with your company say about this
Since we are working on a temporary contract in a small city and rents are very expensive I opted for buying a home since it is basically cheaper than renting. We had extra money left in our contract that already started, and the company recently negotiated with client a employee reimbursement for "lodging". I have not received a copy of the contract supplement as still being processed and not fully executed. Basically we are working for the state government, but projects are federally funded. My boss already signed on the redacted supplemental agreement, and what he told me is that it is stated in the paragraphs that it is stated that "any field employee can claim up to a maximum of $x,xxx.xx reimbursement for rent expenses including utilities." client is reimbursing rent expenses because we are considered temporary employees. Therefore, I could probably loose my eligibility for the reimbursement if I own the property..
if they will only reimburse for rentals and not for ownership/mortgage payments then you may not be entitled to this. If the goal is to assist with renting and you decided to buy it would be at your own discretion. However if you now wanted to rent the house out and take advantage of the rental reimbursement you could consider that if eligible.
but as I said, rents will be a lot higher than mortgage payments, and the ideal situation is to collect the reimbursement at maximum allowed rate by transferring deed to my wife and renting a property than legally is not mine. My wife does not have my last name, and therefore there is no logical connection. Client is just requiring a copy of invoice or paid receipt to reimburse the rent expense. The question is if I donate my 50% portion of deed to my wife and she becomes sole owner, can my wife rent me a house where I am paying the mortgage and make profit on it?
I know that if we were divorced she could even rent me the property as she owns 50%, but can I resign to my ownership of a community property and pay rent to spouse for what it will be turned to separate property?

You had opted me out so I was unable to reply

It will be at your discretion. Your goal is to try and make a claim for the rent reimbursement and make the company believe you are renting a house when you are trying to take the money and apply it your mortgage. I do not believe that is the intent of what they are doing, as the goal is to help with the rent, not help you pay a mortgage. You can do it at your own discretion and if they find out, they may not give you the money.

If that was the intent of the company and they were alright with it, they would simply provide a housing allowance, and allow employees to apply the money as they want. If it is specific for rent, they want an arm's length transaction.

to summarize this discussion, if:
12 U.S. Code § 1701j-3 - Preemption of due-on-sale prohibitions - states that I can transfer my deed to my spouse and lender cannot activate the due on sale clause, but the loan agreement has a clause preventing the transfer of the deed to my spouse, where I keep the liability and my spouse becomes sole owner,Does the Federal/State law supersedes the loan agreement, or the loan agreement clause will rule and the lender can accelerate the loan terms?

Your loan agreement will control.

doesn't a clause in an agreement that is opposite to a Federal regulation become null?

An attorney would need to read the entire loan agreement. It would need to see the conditions. I do not think your lender is going against Federal Law if this is a legitimate mortgage with a bank.

understand. Thank you!

My pleasure.