Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My brother-in-law is a double amputee. He is selling his…

My brother-in-law is a...

My brother-in-law is a double amputee. He is selling his house to a friend. This friend has been trying to get a mortgage on the house. He has been living in this house for just the expenses. He has been making repairs that have been agreed upon as well as the price. Is there a need for an attorney on our part?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

The person living in the house has applied for a VA mortgage through quicken loan. My brother- in - law signed a document from quicken giving him 10,000 cash back from the price. That price was a verbal agreement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a VA lawyer about this?

I think the person in the house has and is close to receiving financing. My brother- in - law has not had any contact with an attorney

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/9/2018
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. You certainly don't need a realtor because all they do is facilitate finding a buyer which you already have. But, I would recommend your brother in law engage a lawyer to help. Whether or not the house is being sold to a friend or someone else, the seller has certain disclosure requirements....and without a lawyer, your brother in law may not know what and how to make these disclosures. But, it should not be expensive as it's not a complex transaction. Because the buyer is getting a mortgage, the lender is going to require a title policy. That means it will close through a title company who will have a lawyer prepare the closing documents. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school. But, this is not a complicated case so you would only need a 1-2 year lawyer rather than a more experienced lawyer with the higher billing rate that comes with that experience.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.