RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My question is: I have a disability which I have adr note to

My question is: I have a disability which I have adr note to get out of my lease am I invited to get my security deposit back?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: PA
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: The terms were if we leave before the lease was up we could not get it back, but I wasn't sure because it was my Dr that said we needed to find anew place for medical reasons. This place has mold in the basement
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My disability I s epilepsy I have fell down stairs having seizures and had more than usual while being in this house

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. There needs to be a legal basis, for the landlord to impose a claim and keep your deposit. That would be in a situation where there is a breach of the lease and rent is owed or if there are damages or repairs that were caused by you and not fixed, when you vacated. If you have a legal basis to be released from the lease and no longer have to remain, the deposit would need to be returned, as long as there is no damage or repairs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are leaving before the lease agreement but that is due to Dr note for my disability
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just wanted to make sure they were not trying to do something dishonest.

And what does the note say, about not being able to live there. What is the reason?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The damages to the house was caused by weather or something that just stopped working but nothing caused by us

It it was caused through no fault of your own, they could not deduct for it. The issue is if your medical condition gives you a legal right to vacate because the rental is not habitable and would not allow you to live there, because of health an safety and the landlord fails to cure it or is unable to make reasonable accommodations.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
should they give the deposit back

Yes, if that is present they should since you have a legal basis to end the lease and they would have no basis to impose a claim.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.