Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought my home over 30 years ago. Was married in for only…

I bought my home...

I bought my home over 30 years ago. Was married in for only 3 years a few years after i bought it. My parents owned it and held the mortgage . My ex name was never on the home. He worked only half the time we were married but helped to fix the cellar. Its been 26 years since our divorce and i remarried for 25 now. I hace long since paid off ny parents and have a deed in my name only.my current husband and i are thinking of selling the home. Can my ex come back and sue for those years? Btw he signed a "pre nup" but not til a month after the marriage.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

None. We haven't decided to seel yet. We mighyt rent. It will depend on if he can get something or beed his signarure? or I dont get the price I want for the home??

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NY lawyer about this?

Oh I live in pa. And didn't speak to any one yet . My real estate agent from the new home is coming to see this home next month. I just thought I needed to think ahead.

5/5/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

You need not worry about this.

Your ex spouse has no claim on the house or any other property you may own.

The final decree of dissolution controls and too much time has passed for any viable claim to be made.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer