Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Curious about selling my home to a tenant. Was advised by a…

Curious about selling my...

Curious about selling my home to a tenant. Was advised by a friend that I am not even allowed to be renting the home currently as it is against the mortgage company policy. I was forced to rent it out due to financial difficulties.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Have not prepared paperwork but the mortgage company doesn’t even know I’m renting it. I want to do a For Sale By Owner but will the fact that she’s already renting it come into play?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Rhode Island

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

5/4/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Have you read your mortgage? If so, does it State a time in which the home needed to be owner occupied if it was a condition to the mortgage?

I would have to look it up to confirm. I already have word from my tenant that she wants to buy and she is meeting with her financial advisor next week. The other (major) issue I’m facing is that the home is on the brink of foreclosure due to additional financial difficulties I’ve run into. I received a letter on April 9th from the law firm representing the mortgage company. I was told the only thing that would stop the foreclosure process would be if I found a buyer but my tenant and I are only in the beginning stages of settling on a price to buy. Not sure what my options are with stalling the foreclosure and I’m also not sure if her renting the home would prevent the sale.

In a situation like this, you can present to the bank, a buyer. I do not think it is going to be an issue with the buyer being a tenant, as the bank just wants their money and if the buyer is qualified and can obtain a mortgage, the bank will work with you. If you can get the buyer to sign a contract and present it to your bank, they can stay the foreclosure proceedings and if the home is worth less than what is owed, may even consider a short sale. I do not think this is going to be an issue with them being a tenant but you need to move fast, if the home is close to being foreclosed on.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

What kind of contract would I ask her to sign to stay the foreclosure proceedings? Would this be something that I draft on my own?
You have the buyer sign a regular purchase and sales contract like you would do with anyone buying your home. You would then present that to you bank as they suggested and just ask them to place a stay and not proceed with the foreclosure if you are able to sell
Got it. Purchase and sale agreement. Thank you.
My pleasure and if you have not already I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time. Thank you.
Do you think I should call them now to request that they give me some extra time while she gets her financials in order? I have until May 9th and she’s meeting with her advisor on May 7th. Cutting it close.
Of course... you were fabulous and I’ll be sure to rate you.
there is nothing wrong with speaking with your bank and keeping them informed so they know what is happening and can work with you. It is when they do not hear from you or know what is going on that they move forward.
Understood - again, you were great and thank you so much for your help. So much anxiety over this lately. I just want to sell the house and move on. Luckily, it is worth more than it owed so hopefully she and I can work out something fair.
Final question (sorry) - since this is a for sale by owner and she has been renting for six months, are there rules and standards around how the rent she has paid affects the overall price or no? Obviously I’m new to all of this. What would you suggest as far as approaching the price from a tenant/landlord perspective.

No, there is not. Unless you had a lease to own agreement with them, you can offer and list the home for sale, based upon the market value and what it is worth. The rent they have paid is not relevant to the purchase of it and you do not need to deduct or reduce the price because of it, if they were just a tenant.

RealEstateAnswer
She was just a tenant - I had an agent friend do the comps on the house and he gave me the estimated value, which is what I’m prepared to start with. Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate your prompt and helpful responses.