Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother died and had credit card debt. I was her caretaker…

Customer Question
My mother died and...

My mother died and had credit card debt. I was her caretaker but she handled her own affairs and had formed a small company and was paying ahead. She was 94, but was healthy, although handicapped. I had to do chapter 7 due to all my net worth being in properties lost in the housing crash. My mother lost everything when Wachovia crashed, and we used up her remaining investments in the 5 years I was here with her. She could not get a reverse mortgage on the house because my ex and I had signed for her and our judgements stuck to the property even though she had us sign quit claim deeds. The house appraised at $51,000 when she tried and the judgements totalled abput $30,000. In 2021 it will be 10 years since thelast judgement and Missouri law kees them for ten years. I live here with my teenage daghter and our 6 dogs. She left the house to my cousin and I am renting it from him by paying the taxes and insurance and doing reairs it needs badly as I can. I was put on disability as I was doing bankruptcy, but am trying to get my medications right so I can get my career back at some point. I'm not there yet. Although I have requested a ticket to work from social security, with no response yet. I know I would fail at a full time job but have worked part time when I can.She had another house she had a warrenty deed for so it would go to her nephew as we owed him money for trying to help me keep from losing a home in 2011. She was paying ahead on the cards with her contracts but it is up to about $20,000 between them. The house cannot be sold due to the judgements and repairs needed and the other house is not still being remodeled by my ex who she let live there with my son. There was a will but the assets she had in it are long gone and she disposed of it. Her name has been taken off the houses by the beneficiaries. I don't have the money to hire a lawyer but I will get $2500 that I honestly need to survive. My ex had fought child support for years or she would not have needed to use the cards as much but I am not on them, just an approved user. I did make one payment after she passed in March, but I cannot continue to. I lost my part time job yesterday as it ended. I am an art model and it goes with the semester. I would be horrified if my cousin or her nephew were hit with her charge card bills because she left the houses to them to pay them back. I am not up to home ownership at this time as I have no credit and have to pay for repairs, including a hole in the roof, out of pocket as I can. I have been trying to rebuild my credit but have not been able to get a card. She had great credit all her life and paid ahead on them. There is no executor, only me. Im the only child. I am afraid of being made homeless. I told one card she had passed on but I have not sent any letters. I can barely get out of bed from depression and I can't take meds for it as it makes me suicidal.

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?

Oh hell no. That's why I refuse to take SSRI or SNRI antidepressants. It frustrates my doctors, bu I have never been suicidal except when I took prozac. I quit it abruptly ten years ago because of that side effect. I guess my biggest problem is my worry about the effects on those who now hold the titles to the properties and if I can be turned ut, as I am really a renter of my cousin. But no, I have three great kids, and my girl is homeschooled and getting A's and I love my pets very much. I hope to be able to continue my mom's company, as I used to be the highest level specialist in the state and have tried and successfully taught several classes for her and others in the past few years. I just am afraid of failing my kids by not knowing what to do about this debt and if they put anymore judgements on the properties at this point how that will affect the owners or myself and our little family. I honestly dont know where to start.

Lawyer's Assistant: Okay. Let's try this again. How can I help you?

What should I do about the charge cards and I a wondering if I am just an authorized user, how can they be on my credit report? Can charge card companies go after her relatives who she had the beneficiary deed and warrenty deed for? Is it better to just not pay anymore on them as I cannot currently, or should I attempt to close them? She went to a lawyer a few years back and assigned them but the cards were not as high then. I am afraid to try to assume the debt. I am still trying to recover from bankruptcy. All I got is her books and furniture which are ancient, and the life insurance, an the ability to have a roof over my head, The judgements are only because of my ex and my debts and she had paid for the houses outright before Wacovia crashed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oh and the car was TOD.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Missouri. Both beneficiaries of her property are in PA, so I have to be in charge of the repairs. She did not put much into them when she could have.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have just told one collection call from one card she passed on. I brought her bank accounts up to date and opened one. I sent the death certificates in to the assessor and her name was taken off by the beneficiaries.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
I cannot read the remainder of the conversation. I simply told one of the charge cards when they called that I was not sure what I could do yet but that she had passed. I did file the death certificate with the assessor and both beneficiaries on the properties apparently had her name removed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

You are lying. I do not have any answer and your chat bot thought I was going to kill myself!

I'm not understanding your last post.
Did you still need assistance on the above?

Absolutely. I was on the phone with some management over the dumb response of your chat bot. It could easily trigger some people who actually are suicidal. Very scary crap.
I am not aware of what you are referencing. Please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/help
I have already done so, and with management. Are you going to answer my question?
I am not able to see what you are referencing so I will opt out so another contributor can assist you. Please do not respond to this as that will delay another contributor from accessing this. Thank you.