Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I filed for bankruptsy over 10 years ago and the condo I…

I filed for bankruptsy...

I filed for bankruptsy over 10 years ago and the condo I owned at the time was not re-affirmed but I have made payments on time ever since. I am now in the situation where I can no longer keep the condo. The mortgage company has told me all along that I could let it go without consequences but I am not sure how to start the process. By the way, the condo is now worth $20,000 less than the principal left on the mortgage.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, I went ahead and paid the mortgage for May but would like to let it go before June payment is due.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Glenwood Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I now live in Merrillville IN

Answered in 1 day by:
5/5/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I will wait one more day.
Just tell me how to start the process, please.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Because you did not reaffirm the debt, your personal obligation on the Note was discharged in your bankruptcy. So, if you walked away and stopped making payments on the loan and the lender foreclosed on the property, the lender can never come after you for deficiency after the foreclosure sale.

You can simply stop making payments on the mortgage and let the lender foreclose on the property. That's all you can do here because the debt has already been discharged by your bankruptcy filing. You can continue to stay on the property until the foreclosure sale has taken place.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law