Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How much does this service cost? I purchased my home in 2009…

Customer Question
How much does this...

How much does this service cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I purchased my home in 2009 and encountered medical illness in 2010; tried for several years to get a modification but finally in 2013 I had to file bankruptcy, which was discharged in 2014. My home was apart of that bankruptcy, but I still tried to get a modification. I never however reaffirmed the original loan. They gave me a modification that I could not really afford. So I am at the point now of doing a sale and at worst a short sale of the home. I would like to know what is my liability in a short sale? Would it be best to do a foreclosure? What would be my liability in a foreclosure? Also I would like to know would I be eligible for a new mortgage on a cheaper smaller home?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Chase allowed me to contract to sell the home and I got a 60 day stay on the foreclosure till June 12, 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Mebane, NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is really what I want to know. I would like to see how I can get out of this home and how much it will cost me. And I just want to be able to move on to a small home at a much more affordable home.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/2/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you signed reaffirming the debt and got a modification, then you would remain liable for that debt and the lender can likely seek deficiency judgement against you (depending on whether they use judicial or non-judicial foreclosure). The NC non-recourse statute does not state anything about short sales, so the lender can also seek deficiency judgment against you on a short sale unless they agree to waive the deficiency as part of the agreement to short sell.

In a foreclosure, the non-recourse statute says they cannot pursue deficiency if they do a non-judicial foreclosure, but if they sue for foreclosure, they could pursue you for the deficiency judgment.

We cannot tell you if you could qualify for a mortgage on a cheaper/smaller home, we do not have access to your finances to make that determination and you would need to sit with a lender. However, I can tell you that with a foreclosure or short sale on your credit, as well as a bankruptcy, it is going to make it difficult to get a new mortgage in general.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.