Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a licensed NY State Real Estate Broker and would like…

Customer Question
I am a licensed NY...
I am a licensed NY State Real Estate Broker and would like to have an agreement drawn up where I am protected as the broker when I introduce a property for sale to an individual. I want something basic and not overly complicated where the individual will refuse to sign.
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 day by:
5/3/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Lawyer replied 18 days ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Just Answer cannot draft agreements for you but I do have a sample agreement that you could use if you want me to provide the link. We can discuss the issue also if you want.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Hello Damien, Thanks for replying. I should look at the sample agreement and hope it is satisfactory. If not I will let you know.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Please provide me with the link so I can view it.

Hold on for a second. I just realized that the agreement is for a broker representing a seller. You are a broker representing a buyer, i.e., buyer's broker. Or at least you want an agreement between a buyer's broker and a potential buyer? Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I have a listing from a seller that I want to discuss with a potential buyer. Before I tell him about the property and the address I need an agreement the buyer can sign and protect me should he go directly to the Selller.

Okay. Hold, please. Let me see if I can find something for you.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
OK. Standing by.

I know exactly what you are talking about and usually it could be only one page long wherein the buyer agrees to pay the seller or listing broker (you), your commission if the buyer does contact the seller but at the same time preventing the buyer to do so.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a template for you.

Would you like me to open your question to other experts who may be able to find one for you?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Somebody must have one, for this is a very common occurrence in the real estate industry. Thanks for trying but please open my question to others that may be able to help me.
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 18 days ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

H​ello. Let me see if I can assist. I am a different expert on JustAnswer. Give me a moment to type my reply.

Here's the protection sign-in agreements that my agents/clients use to show properties to buyers (when the agent represents the Seller of the property). You can certainly modify it to add more information in the agreement if you wish.

See attached.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I have received the document and feel that it is more of a questionaire than the actual protection I am looking for. I need a non-circumvent agreement that a potential buyer signs agreeing that he will not go directly to the owner and make a deal with him directly. If he does I am entitled to a full 6% commission to be paid by the Buyer since he went directly to the Seller and the Seller should not be penalized for it since he was unaware that I introduced the buyer to the property initially. There should also be a mention of the commission statute from the NYS Real Estate Board. As mentioned earlier I am not looking for a lengthy document but one where it is clearly spelled out that I, the Broker, am introducing him to a specific property(s) and the Buyer will not go directly to the Seller. At this point, I cannot accept the document as it is written. Please advise.
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 16 days ago

Y​ou cannot force a buyer to not deal directly with the seller. You can only protect yourself that in case the buyer does - you get your commission that is due. This is the document my brokers and agents use. Sorry it is unacceptable.

I will opt out and open up your question to others. Good luck.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer