Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

MY NEIGHBOR IS PUTING UP A FENCE ON WHAT SIDE SHOULD THE…

MY NEIGHBOR IS PUTING...

MY NEIGHBOR IS PUTING UP A FENCE ON WHAT SIDE SHOULD THE POLES BE.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your neighbor taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

GROTON CT

5/1/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

H​ello. Let me see if I can assist. The entire fence, including the poles, must be on the neighbor's property (not Yours). Be sure to have a current survey of your property and be sure the fence installer does not have the fence (any part of it) encroaching into your property.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.

DONT KNOW

W​hat else can I answer for you?

SHOULD THE POLES BE FACING HIS SIDE?

Y​es. The entire fence should be over on his property line.

SHOULD THE NICE PART OF THE FENCE BE FACING HIS SIDE OR MY?
Loren, Lawyer

A different expert here.

There is no specific Connecticut law which mandates which side of the fence should face out. So, it is determined by the owner's preference. Some people like the good side facing out for the neighbors to enjoy and others prefer the good side facing in for their own enjoyment.

Have you discussed it with the neighbor?

I UNDERSTAND YOUR ANSWER, THANK YOU.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer