Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Why do I have to pay MORTGAGE INSURANCE? Thanks

Why do I have to...
Why do I have to pay MORTGAGE INSURANCE?
Thanks
5/1/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Mortgage insurance is to protect the bank in the event that you can't afford to make the monthly mortgage payments. After the housing crash in 2009, most banks will not loan funds for a mortgage without insurance unless the buyer meets certain requirements. Usually, their requirement is a substantial down payment (20% in most cases). It's honestly a waste of money for most people, but if you want the loan and don't have the cash to make a large down payment, it is something you're required to agree to. That way, if you default on the mortgage, the insurance company pays the bank for your missed payments.

In most cases, mortgage insurance can be removed either when you pay off a certain amount of the loan or of the value of the home increases. Talk to the bank to see what their requirements are for both automatic removal and getting it cancelled early.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer