Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm buying my daughters house and land with cash. How do I…

I'm buying my daughters...

I'm buying my daughters house and land with cash. How do I get the title, or warranty deed put in my name. I had the money wired to her bank today so she can pay off the loan.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Wise County, Paradise, Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She and her family will be moving, her husband is relocating in a job advancement. The house was once ours and is adjacent to our present house and land.

5/1/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

All she has to do is have a local real estate attorney or closing/title company draw up a new deed from her as the Grantor over to you as the Grantee. Then she signs it in front of a notary public and you take it to the local land records office and have it recorded. That then completes the transfer of the property to you.

.

.

thanks

do we do this before she actually sends the payoff balance to her mortgage or after she has it free and clear?

It doesn't matter one way or the other... the payoff has nothing to do with who the legal owner of the property is. So she can do it now or later, whichever she chooses..

Ok, thank you for the information.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer

Thank you very much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is greatly appreciated!