Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother wants to put me on her house. How would she do…

My mother wants to...

My mother wants to put me on her house. How would she do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, I'm not sure how to proceed

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Plainfield, IL

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/30/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

ok
talking to you online is just fine, for now

If you r wife wishes to add you to the title as tenants by the entirety, typical and advised for a married couple titling their primary residence, all she needs to do is fill out and sign a quitclaim deed from herself to you and her, not as tenants in common or in joint tenancy, but as tenants by the entirety.

Then the deed is recorded with the County Recorder's office.

You are then on title.

Here is a link to a quitclaim deed you can use as a template:

ILLINOIS QUITCLAIM DEED

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

I want to be put on her house so when she dies, it doesn't go through probate.

You should title it in joint tenancy. That will avoid probate.

The grant would be from your mother to you and your mother, not as tenants in common, but as joint tenants with right of survivorship.

That means her interest in the property will automatically go to you upon her death.

how would I do that?

By filling in and recording the quitclaim deed I provided.

Also, if there is a mortgage she will need the consent of the lender to change the title.

Do I need a lawyer to record the Quitclaim deed?

No, there is no legal requirement that you have an attorney prepare and record the deed. You are allowed to do it yourself. Though, anytime you are changing title it is a good idea to have a real estate attorney prepare the documentation.

Mistakes in title can be very expensive to correct.

Loren, Lawyer
Ok, thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.