Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a renter rights question. This is not about an

I have a renter...

I have a renter rights question

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your renter taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

This is not about an eviction. I pay my rent on time every month for the past 3 years at the same place. I was threatened by the office manager and was told something I think is discriminatory. I want to leave immediately because I am very uncomfortable. the office manager is upset with me because I hold her to do things around the property that is stated in my lease. I don't ask for anything that is beyond the lease expectations.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to an Indiana lawyer about this?

I am in North Carolina. I want to hire a lawyer if need be but I feel I need to move. I have spoken to the corporate office and requested someone to contact me. Now corporate office is not answering my calls.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No... I just want to know my rights. I really don't want to move but I can't live in a place where I feel threatened by the office manager.

4/30/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you under a written fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

What was said to you that made you uncomfortable? Were you threatened with physical injury or harm?

.

.

thanks

I am under a fixed term lease and have been renting from them for about 4 years now. This has been an ongoing "feud" (for lack of a better word) between myself and the office manager for the past 2 years due to her neglect of the property and enforcing rules and regulations they have in place. I have reached out to corporate when I can't get a response from her and she doesn't like that; understandably so, but I needed response and that was the only way to get it.According to my lease, tenants are able to have packages delivered to our rental office and they place a note in our mailbox to let us know a package has arrived. I had been waiting for at least 3 weeks for a RA from Sprint so I could send a device back. I finally looked up the tracking number Friday, 4/27 and was startled to see it had been in the rental office since Monday, 4/23. Our rental office is open from 9-5 weekdays and closed on weekends so you can imagine it's a challenge to get there as I work from 8-5 everyday. When I went to the office this morning (4/30) to ask why I had not been told a package was there since 4/23, the manager was menacing in her response and with squinty eyes, she informed me they don't do that anymore and I need to contact the Post Office to find out why I wasn't notified. I don't understand that because this office manager signed for my package. Also, she came outside the office and started mouthing off and telling me "I'd better not walk away from her when she is talking to me". I asked her "who do you think you are?" She then let me know that she was not going to accept anymore packages for me. This is discriminatory, in my opinion, and if she doesn't accept mine she cannot accept others. I promptly called corporate and am waiting for a response/discussion with them.She and her husband lives on the property and her husband is a (known) drunk and doesn't work anywhere and I'm afraid of what he might do while I am at work.I live alone and am almost near retirement and I don't need this in my life. I also do not want to be forced to move to another location at this point in time just because I contact corporate with my concerns regarding her lack of doing her job.Thank you.
I just want to know my rights as a tenant. I do everything I am asked in terms of being a tenant and I expect them to be responsible landlords.

Ok, to be very honest with you, her actions have nothing to do with the habitability of the dwelling, which is all the landlord has a duty to provide.... a habitable dwelling that meets all local code rules and regulations.

.

If she is violating the terms of the lease, then your recourse here is to sue the landlord and her as their agent for breach of contract for failing to provide a service specifically stated in the lease. Or you could go over her head again formally by having a local attorney send a letter to the landlord threatening to sue if they didn't get the manager straightened out.

.

But a dispute with the manager over delivering notices about packages isn't going to rise to the level of allowing you to break your lease without repercussions..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Barrister,
thank you for your response and it was exactly what I needed to hear. This is not the only issue going on with her; several have been going on for the past few years. She is violating my lease when she says she is not taking anymore packages for me because it is in my lease that they do that for tenants or can she just arbitrarily exclude me because she's upset with me???I am scheduled to discuss the situation with the corporate office about the office manager and hopefully it will be resolved. I am not after her job - I just want to be treated fairly; like everyone else and not be reprimanded because I contact corporate about something that is a part of her responsibilities.Is it ok to be subject to second hand cigarette smoke coming through the apartments not to mention the horrid marijuana smells early in the morning when I go to use my bathroom? Is it ok to have trash and people dumping furniture, etc. when they move out as it sit for weeks on end before it is moved inviting snakes, rats and everything else? I pay over $1,000 month to live here and I guess I didn't expect all that to come with it.She told me there is nothing they can do about the cigarette smoke and I needed to call 911 when the marijuana smell is detected....ok then.

when she says she is not taking anymore packages for me because it is in my lease that they do that for tenants or can she just arbitrarily exclude me because she's upset with me???

.

Nope, that is the breach of contract I referred to..

.

As for the smoke smells, if the complex is not non-smoking, then there isn't much that can be done about it... As for marijuana, you can report it to police, but if the people have a prescription for medical use... again, not much that can be done..

.

But it sounds like you are on the right track about the package thing and corporate just needs to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with the manager to get her straightened out..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer